Sunday 6 October 2013

St Kilda by the Bay

Acland Street
When I was recently in Melbourne I took the short tram ride to St Kilda to explore this cosmopolitan  suburb hugging Port Phillip Bay. It is only 6klm south-east from Melbourne's CBD. St Kilda was named not after a person, but after a schooner called 'Lady of St Kilda'. In the past it was a popular holiday destination, with people attracted to the popular St Kilda Beach. Today it is still a popular holiday area, containing many hotels, hotels and backpackers.
 
Most of the day was spent at Luna Park, the world famous amusement park that has just celebrated its 100th birthday.

Cake Shop
Feeling a bit peckish, I wandered along Acland Street, the main shopping street in St Kilda. It has a broad range of boutique clothing shops, cafes, food retailers, ice-cream parlours, restaurants and coffee shops. What appealed to me most were the many bakeries that had well stocked windows displaying their yummy cakes, tarts and pastries. I chose a yummy french vanilla slice from Monarch Cakes, that has been operating since 1934 and still uses original recipes.

For a short time I dropped into a small bar/coffee shop and enjoyed listening to a live jazz band playing.

Jazz Band
As I was in St Kilda on a Sunday I was fortunate to catch one of the markets that are popular in St Kilda  - the Esplanade Market. This had more than 120 artists and crafts people selling their handmade gifts, souvenirs, clothing, furniture, jewellery, sculptures and art in the open air gallery by the sea.  www.stkildaesplanademarket.com.au 
Other markets in St Kilda are - 

Many fine historic buildings are in St Kilda, including the
Palais Theatre

Luna Park
If I had more time I could have put my walking shoes on and ventured on one of three walking trails in the area -
When I go back for another visit to Melbourne I must spend some more time exploring St Kilda and all it offers. A good time for me to go back would be in February when the popular St Kilda Festival is held each year. This a a free festival featuring the best of Australian music in the warmth of summer along St Kilda's foreshore.

Further St Kilda Information:
http://www.stkildamelbourne.com.au/

To read my Luna Park article:
http://theholidayandtravelmagazine.blogspot.com.au/2013/11/luna-park-ultimate-destination-for-fun.html
To read my article on the Lake Albert Pullman Hotel (where I stayed when I visited St Kilda)
http://theholidayandtravelmagazine.blogspot.com.au/2013/10/the-stunning-pullman-melbourne-albert.html

No comments:

Post a Comment