Saturday 30 September 2023

Nedd Brockmann’s guide to the best runs in Sydney and NSW

Nedd Brockmann at the finish line in Bondi
Credit: Bradley Farley
Late last year Nedd Brockmann, a then 23-year-old electrician, ran 4,000km from Cottesloe Beach in Western Australia to Bondi (about 100km per day) in 46 days – faster than anyone else before. His goal was to raise $1 million for homelessness but he more than doubled that amount, taking in $2.5 million. Now a household name, Nedd has become a running icon. 

This month he ran the Sydney Marathon in just over three hours. We asked the Bondi local for his tips on great running tracks, the state’s best parmy and where he likes to holiday in NSW.

What are your top three favourite runs in NSW?

Centennial Parklands (Cenny P as the locals call it) in Sydney has to be number one. The park is close to home, flat as a tack (with hills on the outside if you need), has an awesome running community, great views and is the perfect place to switch off!

Narrabeen Lagoon in Sydney’s Northern Beaches is a close second. It’s a picturesque run and out of the hustle and bustle of the eastern suburbs. It's also very flat, which I love. Give me a straight, long run every day of the week and I’m a happy man.

Third and final would have to be my family farm in Forbes. There’s no one around and a run on the farm brings me back to my roots – reminds me what it’s all about.
What’s your favourite post-run meal in Sydney?

I have to say it’s either breakfast or a sandwich depending on the time of day when I finish. The best breakfast in Sydney would have to be between Pina in Potts Point and A.P Bakery on the rooftop of Paramount House Hotel in Surry Hills. The sandwich battle is between S’wich in Bondi and South Dowling Sandwiches in Darlinghurst.

What about the best schnitzel or parmy in NSW to help you refuel after a marathon?

It’s definitely hard to pick just one. The Nelson Hotel in Bondi Junction does a ripper. I’ve also heard the Settlers Inn Hotel in Port Macquarie does an absolute banging parmy – I’ll have to test it out soon!

What about a great run for people-watching?

Bondi to Coogee Walk, Sydney
The Bondi to Coogee coastal run, for sure! You can even start in Maroubra and head up to Bondi to extend the run to 12km. I inevitably bump into friends when I’m on this track, especially on a weekend in summer, so sometimes it turns into more of a walk!

And for being in nature with more solitude when running?

The Blue Mountains are incredible. The Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park north of Sydney is stunning as well.

Where’s your favourite place in Sydney to take your dog for a run?

Queens Park by far! There are lots of friendly faces (dogs in particular) and acres and acres to run [with] your furry friend. My dog Dougie loves the park, mainly because of all the birds he gets to chase! It offers a nice bit of freedom for him in the middle of the eastern suburbs.

Where’s your favourite place to holiday in NSW?

Forbes NSW - Credit: Forbes Visitor Information Centre
I love heading back out into the country to my hometown of Forbes. There’s nothing quite like the fresh air of the country and the friendliness of the country folk.

What do you love about The Sydney Marathon?

It’s so good to see so many people getting after it! I do think running has been picked up massively over the last few years so it’s epic to be a part of the event. Everyone has their own journey and story and I think running allows people to connect. It’s awesome to see people being a part of something much bigger than themselves!

I’m excited to do the whole thing [the Sydney Marathon]. However, I do, as I said, love Centennial Park so I’m keen to run into there. Also, the finish line, obviously, at the beautiful Sydney Opera House is going to be pretty stunning. Running over the Sydney Harbour Bridge is pretty iconic so it’s going to be an awesome day.
* Destination NSW

No comments:

Post a Comment