Monday 20 January 2014

What to do in Melbourne when in town for AIME

All Melburnians love their city and the passion is truly contagious.

It’s the city’s pockets of culture that really stir me; the talented buskers around each corner, the graffiti-lined laneways that are true works of art and the ‘play me’ pianos that have just popped up in random public spaces as part of the Play Me, I’m Yours street exhibition.

With so much going on, I often feel like the city is reaching out and giving me a great big hug, embracing me in the experience.

And I want everyone to experience Melbourne the way I and all the locals do, so here are my five must-sees while you are in town for AIME.

1. Head to the National Gallery of Victoria on St Kilda Road to check out Melbourne Now, celebrating all things creative and cultural about the city.

Here you’ll find a three-storey wall of graffiti art, contemporary dancing, interactive workshops and more.

With over 300 artists on show, the list of visual treats on offer makes it an extremely worthy box to tick. It even has cake decorating – a hobby that I’ve always wanted to master.

2. Pop down to the Melbourne Museum to swoon over the world’s most famous secret agent at the Designing 007: Fifty Years of Bond Style exhibition.

In my mind, Sean Connery was the only true Bond, but the array of fabulous costumes, cars, gadgets, weapons, stunts and props will certainly distract you from the likes of Brosnan and
that blond Bond, whatever his name is…

3. Embrace Melbourne’s cultural playground from dusk-till-dawn at White Night Melbourne 2014.

On 22 February, night owls like me will be hooting with joy when Melbourne’s city streets, laneways and landmarks are transformed into stages, backdrops for light shows, runways and everything in between.

White Night’s debut in 2013 saw 300,000 people hit the streets for this one all-night party.

4. See the Melbourne Convention and Exhibition Centre (MCEC) as you’ve never seen it before for Open Space.

Weave between crates, vertical gardens and a pop-up hawker market to explore MCEC’s range of spaces, technology and design, while sampling its award-winning food created in-house and sourced from regional Victoria.

Speaking of design, you’ll also hear from one of Australia’s most renowned designers, Dr Ken Cato AO, as well as leading scientist, Dr Cathy Foley, and advertising extraordinaire, Todd Sampson from ABC’s The Gruen Transfer.

Best of all, it’s free. Book your ticket at openspace.mcec.com.au

5. Embrace your inner Sandra D or Danny Zuko at Grease, which is now showing at Her Majesty’s Theatre.

A critic has claimed that Melbourne’s version of the hit movie is “the best production of Grease I have ever seen.” Who can argue with that?

Classic hits such as ‘Summer Nights’ and ‘You’re the One that I Want’ will have you wishing you packed your leather pants!

My final tip – dive into Melbourne head first and get amongst it – there’s no doubt you’ll become as smitten with the city as I am.

Author: Karen Bolinger, CEO, MCB

No comments:

Post a Comment