Monday 4 September 2023

The Very Comfortable Tequila Sunrise Hostel in Sydney

Sydney is an exciting city to visit with lots to see and do. The problem for any overseas or interstate visitor is finding a suitable place to stay. On a recent visit to Sydney I found the ideal place.

The Tequila Sunrise Hostel is very conveniently located in George Street in the heart of Sydney. Getting there is easy by hopping on the light rail that goes along George Street, or walking the short distance from Central or Town Hall train stations.

The hostel is in a lovely old restored building on the three floors above some street level shops.

The reception, kitchen and lounge/dining area are on the first floor, and the bedrooms and bathrooms on the second and third floors. The bedrooms are not just multiple bunk beds in a large room, the beds are in separate private capsules. Various bedrooms have 4, 10 or 16 capsule beds.

The carpeted bedrooms are air conditioned, have opening windows, and a desk and chair. I had a lower level capsule in my 10 person room. There were 5 lower ones, and 5 upper ones accessed by a stepladder.

I was impressed with my large capsule. The double bed sized mattress was thick and very comfy to sleep on. A pillow, sheet, blanket and towel were provided. At the head end of the capsule were shelves, a hanging space, personal reading lamp, and powerpoints for charging my phone. At the foot of the capsule was a thick curtain that provided privacy when closed. Under the bed was a long drawer that slid out on castor wheels. This was large enough to hold my very large suitcase, bag and shoes. If desired it could be locked with a padlock.

Their are individual bathrooms on each floor. I was impressed with their modern, clean looks. They had a toilet, shower, hand basin, mirror and hairdryer. Not only was the floor tiled, tiles were also on all the walls from the floor to ceiling. Even though the hostel was full of guests, the hot water did not run out. 

It was good to see the Tequila Sunrise Hostel practices sustainable hospitality. For energy conservation, the bathroom lights turned on when you entered the bathroom, and turned off when you left it. Quality Soak toiletries were provided in bulk dispenses on the wall, not in single-use throw-away plastic bottles. Their was hand & body wash, shampoo and conditioner.

A feature of Tequila Sunrise Hostel was the meals it provides. Each morning for breakfast there's self service cereals, range of bread for toasting, orange juice, tea and coffee. The highlight for me was the pancakes that were freshly cooked for you each morning. Yum.

Dinner is cooked and served each evening for hostel guests. I liked my hearty meal cooked by the delightful kitchen staff each evening I stayed there.

I appreciated the quietness of the Tequila Sunrise Hostel. The first evening I stayed there I was disappointed to see road work crews arrive and start using jackhammers to dig up the opposite footpath. I thought I would not get any sleep at all. However, even though they worked all night, I had a very good night's sleep as I did not hear any of the outside noise in my bedroom. On the second night of my stay I sleep so well that I did not wake up until 9.15am. I appreciated the way the other guests in my bedroom were so considerate and quite. 

The dining/lounge area was a good area to meet other guests. I had some chats with friendly people from overseas places like Brazil and Wales, and a lady closer to home from the nearby Blue Mountains who was in Sydney for a training day. 

Would I stay there again? Would I recommend other people to stay there? The answers to both these questions is a resounding yes. Other people, like me, would appreciate the Tequila Sunrise Hostel's location, bed comfort, cleanliness and meals. There are other Tequila Sunrise Hostels located in Surfers Paradise, Adelaide and Guatemala City. 

Tequila Sunrise Hostel

Sydney Manager: Luisa Torres

No comments:

Post a Comment