- In Japanese, the name “Japan” is Nihon or Nippon🇯🇵️, which means “Land of the Rising Sun.” It was once believed that Japan was the first country to see the sun rise in the East in the morning.
- The Japanese eat more fish 🐟 than any other people in the world, about 17 million tons per year.
- Over two billion manga, Japanese comic books or graphic novels, are sold in Japan each year.More than 5 billion servings of instant ramen noodles 🍜 are consumed in Japan each year.Sushi 🍣 has been around since about the second century A.D.
- Japan has around 5.5 million vending machines with one on almost every street corner.
- Shinjuku station, Tokyo’s main train station, is the busiest in the world with over 2 million people passing through it every day.
- Hello Kitty🐱 was born in Japan in 1974 as a plastic coin purse. More than 20,000 Hello Kitty products are on the market today.
📸: ©Yasufumi Nishi/© JNTO/ ©Matsumoto city/©JNTO