Wednesday 24 October 2018

JENNY MITCHELL RELEASES HIGHLY ANTICIPATED SOPHOMORE ALBUM ‘WILDFIRES’

Jenny Mitchell
Jenny Mitchell, one of New Zealand’s brightest rising stars, has today released her sophomore album ‘Wildfires’. It comes off the back of her critically acclaimed debut album, ‘The Old Oak’, and a string of achievements including a New Zealand Gold Guitar and MLT Songwriting awards.

Speaking of the album, Mitchell says it ‘takes listeners through the journey of leaving home and the long ache of losing your first love.’  The title track, ‘Wildfires’, describes a passionate yet toxic relationship and paints a picture of what it feels like to be in the eye of the storm, while ‘Worth It All’ puts things a little more bluntly, albeit beautifully. ‘My lover, my liar, means the same thing these days. My truth, my cheater, where’s the proof that I’m not insane?’ sings Mitchell, with a haunting wisdom far beyond her 19 years.

‘Wildfires’ also explores the story of Mitchell’s grandparents’ migration and the highs and lows of life as a singer-songwriter. ‘It can be a transient existence,’ Mitchell says, ‘but I just hope people will listen and be reminded of themselves, or those around them, in my lyrics.’

The album takes a playful turn on ‘One Day’, a crowd favourite, and you can hear Mitchell’s smile as she sings ‘One day you’ll wake up and realise that the reason you like coffee so much is ‘cause it matches my eyes.’

Though the majority of the tracks were written in New Zealand, ‘Ends of the Earth’ was born in a central Dublin hostel and inhabits the world of Sheila and Joe Brouder, Mitchell’s grandparents, who left Ireland in the 50s in search of a better life. ‘Missing home makes you lonely, swear I nearly lost my mind & I prayed, for forgiveness for leaving my mamma behind,’ sings Mitchell on the Celtic-influenced ballad.

Mitchell’s versatility and storytelling is rapidly capturing fans across the globe. She’s comfortable with a country twang or softly spoken ballad, and despite her eclectic influences ‘Wildfires’ is a smooth narrative that’s equal parts heartbreaking and life affirming.

Recorded by an All-Australian cast, with award winning producer Matt Fell at the helm, the album has always been destined for success with the likes of Shane Nicholson (acoustics), Glen Hannah (electric guitar), Luke Moller (fiddle) and Josh Schuberth (percussion & drums) supporting the journey.  ‘I couldn’t have asked for a better team to create this next chapter of my musical career and as a result, I couldn’t be prouder of this record,’ says Mitchell. ‘I hope the ears it falls on can immerse themselves in it as much as I did.’

The album’s final track, ‘Travelling Bones’, was the last song written for the record and Mitchell says ‘it’s my way of explaining why I’m no longer chasing the white-picket-fence dream. In the process of letting go of old love and leaving home, I’ve really gotten to know myself and am beginning to understand that what makes me tick may not be what I always planned it would be.’ Exploring the internal tug of war between settling down and the burning desire to discover the world, ‘Travelling Bones’ perfectly wraps up an album that will leave listeners glad that while they may not yet have discovered the world, they’ve discovered Jenny Mitchell.

Jenny Mitchell will be performing tracks from ‘Wildfires’ in Australia on the following dates:

  • Friday 26th – Sunday 28th October - Tablelands Folk Festival - Yungaburra, QLD
  • Wednesday 31st October - The Spotted Mallard - Melbourne, VIC
  • Thursday 1st November - Caravan Music Club - Melbourne, VIC
  • Friday 2nd – Monday 5th November: Maldon Folk Festival - Maldon, VIC
  • Wednesday 7th November: Ararat Live - Ararat, VIC
  • Thursday 8th November – Porch Light Sessions, Petersham Bowling Club - Sydney, NSW
  • Friday 9th November – The Acoustic Picnic – Brookvale, NSW


BUY ‘WILDFIRES’ HERE
http://www.jennymitchell.co.nz/| facebook.com/jennymitchellmusic | instagram.com/jennymitchellmusic

No comments:

Post a Comment