Go sightseeing on your own. If snow were to fall, the parks will close long enough to clear the roads then re-open. Prefer a guided trip? That can be planned with the following Moab businesses:
- Global Endurance Horseback Riding is open all winter.
- Moab Desert Adventures, as well as, Moab Cliffs and Canyons, will be operational during the winter. Options for climbing and canyoneering are according to weather. Staff is on hand to run a trip for winter visitors and in tune to conditions to best advise you of the right experience for the day.
- At night, Red Rock Astronomy keeps the telescopes peering into the deep dark night skies through winter. Have to dress warmly head to toe. The full moon makes the sky too bright for the telescope to draw in those sites light years away. Schedule a telescope viewing close to new moon.
- Hike Moab is staying open all year! Leading hikes in a myriad of places; be certain to prepare with waterproof and warm footwear.
- Tag-A-Long Expeditions is open all year with Jeep and Hiking Tours. November 1- March 31 there will be one departure daily at 9 AM.
- NAVTEC Expeditions will run river trips through November. NAVTEC stays open for winter providing 4x4, hiking and canyoneering trips. River sessions resume in spring.
- Want to 4x4 on your own? In winter trails will be limited and available according to weather and conditions. Cliffhanger and Twisted Jeeps specify the appropriate trails for rental vehicle use in winter. Get a guided trail tour with Moab Tour Company or Moab Cowboy. It is possible to drive your own vehicle behind a trail leader with either Moab Tour Company or Moab Cowboy companies. And Moab Cowboy says, “Dress warm, it's the Cowboy way, YeeHaw!” Highpoint Hummer is moving into a new location. Usually open all winter, shall close December 16 – January 9 2017 this year to make the move to the corner of 300 South and Main Street.
- Moab Golf Club never closes, but may not be open, it is weather dependent.
- La Sal Mountain Outfitters is open all winter with hunting and fishing supplies. There is an indoor target range for archery. Call in advance 435-259-1606. Located at 3031 South Hwy 191.
- Museum of Moab is open Monday – Saturday noon to 5 PM. Located at 118 E Center Street, Moab.
See the area from the sky:Redtail Air Adventures will be open 8 AM – 5 PM, seven days a week at the airport on North Hwy 191. Scenic and Charter Flights will be flown. Fuel and maintenance will be provided all winter. The Downtown Retail Store will adjust hours to winter visitation, unknown, this is the first winter open.
Red Rock Express provides ground transportation with reservations between Moab and Canyonlands, Grand Junction and Salt Lake City Airports. Red Rock Express is able to provide adventure shuttles, hourly charters, and private transportation for weddings, travel groups, corporate/business events and special events within 500 miles of Moab. During winter there are discounted national park scenic tours to Arches, Canyonlands, Dead Horse Point, Mesa Verde, Capitol Reef and Monument Valley.
Also Boutique Air has announced the winter schedule for commercial flights into (CNY) the Canyonlands Field from Denver and Salt Lake City.http://www.boutiqueair.com
National Park Service:Hovenweep National Monument (a day trip from Moab) visitor center will be open Thursday – Monday 9 AM – 5 PM. Closed Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thanksgiving, Christmas day and New Year's Day.
Natural Bridges National Monument (a day trip from Moab) visitor center will be open Thursday – Monday 9 AM – 5 PM. Closed Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thanksgiving, Christmas day and New Year's Day.
Arches National Park is open 24/7. The Visitor Center hours shall be 8:00 AM – 4:30 PM in November then 9 AM – 4 PM December – February 2017. And closed December 25th.
Canyonlands National Park is open 24/7. The District Visitor Center hours shall be:
- Island in the Sky Visitor Center is open 8 AM – 5 PM in October, 9 AM – 4 PM in November and December and closes December 29 into early March 2017.
- Needles District Visitor Center is open 8 AM – 5 PM through October, 8:30 AM – 4 PM in November and closes for the season late November through early March 2017.
- Hans Flat in the Maze District is open year round 8 AM – 4:30 PM.
Moab Information Center is not in a National Park. It is staffed with knowledgeable people to answer questions about the nearby National Parks. Located conveniently downtown in Moab, at the corner of Main and Center Streets in Moab. It is open 9AM – 5 PM daily throughout winter and is a terrific source for all things parks, trails, maps, books, and activities stemming from Moab. Welcome to Moab in Winter!