For those looking to wine and dine:
1. Cocktails and a View at Top of the MarkKnown for its signature martinis and magnificent views of San Francisco, the Top of the Mark rooftop bar is the perfect place to complement the most romantic evening. Arrive for pre-dinner drinks and experience the sun setting on the San Francisco skyline, or linger for a nightcap with the twinkling lights of the city below.
2. Urban WineriesNo time to head to wine country? Enjoy a first-class wine tasting experience at one of the many new urban wineries located within San Francisco’s 49 square miles. Bluxome Street Winery offers weekend tours and tastings of five wines paired with charcuterie.
3. Illuminate Your NightLovers can gaze upon artist Leo Villareal’s monumental light sculpture known as The Bay Lights, illuminating the western span of the Bay Bridge. Dine at Epic Roasthouse, Waterbar or Chaya Brasserie for a five-star dining experience, complete with a beautiful view of this stunning light installation.
4. A Whimsical Future with Tomas Saraceno: Cloud CitiesTemporary Exhibition at SFMOMA
Tomás Saraceno’s immersive installation works are visually arresting spaces that challenge viewers’ relationship to the built world. Stillness in Motion — Cloud Cities offers a model for the utopian cities of the future, which will surely make your heart flutter.
5. Auguste Rodin: The Centenary InstallationTemporary Exhibition at the Legion of Honor
Walk with your sweetie hand-in-hand and admire 50 objects in bronze, marble, and plaster—all from the Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco’s permanent collection—presented in a new context. The exhibition will examine Rodin's influential work and his celebrated life, from his early days courting controversy with sculptures that bore unexpected levels of naturalism to his later prestige and lasting influence.
6. A Thousand Splendid SunsFeb. 14 at the American Conservatory Theater
Treat yourself and someone special to a big-hearted, powerfully moving Valentine’s date night at the American Conservatory Theater with an epic story of three generations of Afghan women who are bound together by marriage, family, and a secret past, amid the war-torn streets of modern-day Kabul.
7. Rent: The 20th Anniversary TourFeb. 14 presented by SHN
Twenty years later, the rock musical that forever changed the landscape of Broadway returns to San Francisco. With its inspiring message of joy and hope in the face of fear, this timeless celebration of friendship and creativity reminds us to measure our lives with the only thing that truly matters: love. See it at the SHN Golden Gate Theater.
8. Love Trumps Hate Story Jam at PianoFightFeb. 15 at Pianofight
No politics. Just love, sweet love. Join their annual Valentine-themed story jam on Feb. 15. This year, participants are sharing stories about times when "Love Trumps Hate." Celebrate Valentine's Day with tales of love winning the day, love kicking ass, love conquering all.
9. Daniel's HusbandFeb. 15 at the New Conservatory Theater Center
Open your mind to a new kind of love story this Valentine's Day. Mitchell does not believe in same-sex marriage, but his partner Daniel does. As their love story unfolds in this “work of profoundly moving art” (The Sun-Sentinel), these two men learn the consequences of their points of view.
For the adventure-seekers:
10. Golden Gate BridgeTake a romantic stroll on San Francisco's most famous bridge. Or for the more adventurous couple, rent a bicycle built for two with Blazing Saddles or Bay City Bike. Bike over the Golden Gate Bridge from San Francisco to Sausalito and enjoy a quaint, waterfront lunch. Too tired to bike back? Take the ferry from Sausalito to San Francisco.
Sail the Bay with Your Sweetheart
For a romantic evening out on the water, there are a variety of Valentine’s Day cruises.
11. Hornblower’s Amore Valentine's Day Dinner CruiseFeb. 14
Love is on the water this Valentine’s Day. Set sail for a special Hornblower Valentine’s dinner cruise and feast on a delicious buffet dinner while sipping your choice of wine and beer. You and your sweetheart can dance the night away or step outside to enjoy the best views of the breathtaking San Francisco city skyline. Delight in the entire experience of this romantic dinner excursion for an unforgettable Valentine’s Day.
12. Hornblower’s Aphrodite's Valentine's Day Dinner CruiseFeb. 14
Go overboard this Valentine’s Day and embark on an opulent evening cruise of romantic bliss. Get lost in each other’s eyes as you indulge in a gourmet four-course seated dinner at an intimate table for two. Enjoy your favorite cocktails at the premium bar and hit the dance floor. Share a kiss under the twinkling stars and watch the city lights disappear behind you.
13. Valentines Bay Lights SailFeb. 14 – Departs from Sausalito
Board the schooner Freda B for The Bay Lights Sail from 6:30 to 9:15 p.m. This is a perfect way to extend date night. After you take your special someone to an early dinner in one of the great restaurants in Sausalito, take a special twilight sail around the San Francisco Bay. Enjoy the epic views of the Golden Gate Bridge, Bay Bridge, Alcatraz, San Francisco's skyline and Angel Island as they sparkle at night.
For the day dates:
14. Take a Stroll on Lover’s LaneTake your date off the beaten path and hike through San Francisco’s historic Presidio. Open spaces, trails and inspiring vistas provide plenty of opportunity to be alone with your loved one while enjoying the quiet beauty that can only be found at the Presidio. Steal a kiss on Lover’s Lane and experience the sunset from Baker Beach. Guided tours are available through Urban Hiker SF, or explore on your own.
15. Ferry Building MarketplaceSample artisan cheeses, sip Blue Bottle Coffee and feast on Tomales Bay oysters – the Ferry Building Marketplace is the perfect day-date destination.
16. For the Sweet ToothFeb. 14, tours run 11 a.m.–3 p.m.
Bring your sweetie on a Gourmet Walks’ Valentine's Cupcake & Chocolate Tour. These special tours will run only on Valentine's Day weekend, featuring three gourmet cupcake stops and five chocolate tasting stops. Generous tastings will leave couples on a romantic chocolate high.