Years in the making, the We Are Gold Coast brand platform is putting people at the centre in a bid to reveal the real Gold Coast and address dated perceptions of the destination, attracting the growing market of travellers seeking unforgettable moments over recognisable iconic monuments.
Chief Marketing Officer of Gold Coast Tourism, Jan Hutton says the time is right to deliver a destination brand that resonates with the modern traveller. Marking a decidedly new direction for Gold Coast Tourism, We Are Gold Coast will see the destination's infectious energy shared with the world through the eyes of locals.
“Unlike some other destinations, ours is a brand that belongs to us all - a public collaboration of the stories from us as destination marketers, and importantly from our locals who host our travellers, from our valued travellers who are temporary locals when they're here, from our influencers and from our dynamic industry. We're all storytellers at heart and the people of the Gold Coast are the heart of our new destination brand. It's about conversations and relationships more than just campaigns. It is our collective promise of what people experience here, how they feel when they're on the Gold Coast.”
"We are competing in a fundamentally different marketplace than we were even a year ago," Jan said. "On the one hand, we have technology advancing at an unprecedented pace, on the other we're seeing humanity returning to travel, with more people seeking deeper connections with the people and places of a destination.”
“Through two years of research and consultation, we've discovered that what distinguishes the Gold Coast in an ever-increasing world of choice for travellers is not our beaches or theme parks; instead, it's the unmistakable life affirming energy that lives here. It is an energy that ignites, inspires, reconnects and makes you feel alive,” she said.
“Our genuine, spirited, uninhibited and passionate locals epitomise the distinctive energy on the Gold Coast. These people are living life like they really mean it and have inspirational stories to share,” Jan said.
Locals are the heartbeat of the We Are Gold Coast brand. The brand creative features local families, couples, groups of friends, even stalwarts of the sea like the Burleigh Longboarders coming together to showcase their home with the world.
“Creating an authentic, compelling destination brand is vital to our success," Jan said. The We Are Gold Coast brand platform is part of a broader marketing strategy that will lead the growth of the city's $5 billion visitor economy through to 2020.
Industry and political heavyweights were quick to throw their support behind the new We Are Gold Coast positioning:
- “I'm very confident that the community will embrace this because the brand was born out of a consultation process,” said Cr Tom Tate, Mayor of the City of Gold Coast
- “I think this brand is a key part of sharing the passion that we have, sharing all the great aspects of our lifestyle, the growing businesses, the sense of vitality in our city,” said Federal Minister for Trade, Tourism and Investment, Hon Steve Ciobo MP
- “This is a destination where people genuinely have exceptionally good lifestyles, and we are passionate about our backyard,” said Bob East, CEO Mantra Group, Chair of Tourism and Events Queensland and Board Member of Tourism Australia
- “You can have a great idea at the wrong time and it won't work. I think this is a great idea at the right time,” Craig Davidson, CEO Dreamworld added.
- “We have a grown-up brand that is fit for purpose for the 21st century and based on a very deep understanding of how the world has changed,” said Dale Dickson CEO, City of Gold Coast