The official tourism account for Canberra continues to grow awareness and visitation to the city by connecting with potential visitors and passionate locals in record numbers.
Fans of Canberra have embraced the #visitcanberra hashtag on Instagram, with more and more people using it to share their Canberra images. More than 80,000 images were tagged with #visitcanberra on Instagram last year bringing the total number to more than 166,000 images.
The most popular fan image featured by VisitCanberra in 2016, with 2,424 likes and 49 comments, was a double exposure created by Instagrammer @akirawisnu of the highly-Instagrammable supermoon and the Urambi Hills Nature Reserve. It is now also the most popular image featured by VisitCanberra ever.
Scenic shots continue to consistently receive the most likes on @VisitCanberra's account; people just love Canberra's wide open spaces, lakes, mountains, sunsets and sunrises, and dramatic skyline. Telstra Tower in particular was a popular photography subject appearing in five of the top ten images, while Lake Burley Griffin starred in four.
When it comes to the most commented images shared by @VisitCanberra, food and coffee are popular subjects this year including 38 Espresso's Bacon Piccolo and Koko Black's Dessert Degustation. Bushwalking locations, like Tidbinbilla Nature Reserve, and the ever-popular Canberra Balloon Spectacular also proved comment worthy.
VisitCanberra picked up more than 13,000 new fans on Instagram in 2016, growing from about 20,000 followers to more than 33,000 followers. Visitors and locals continue to share hundreds of images a day of the nation's capital using #visitcanberra.
The combined total number of likes on VisitCanberra's Instagram posts passed the 1,000,000 mark in 2016, while the average number of likes on VisitCanberra's images increased to 600 likes per image.
VisitCanberra continues to be passionate about encouraging people to holiday in the national capital and, in turn, building a community of social media savvy advocates for the city.
@VisitCanberra's 10 most liked Instagram posts for 2016
- Supermoon and the Urambi Hills Nature Reserve by @akirawisnu (2,424 likes)
- Supermoon and Telstra Tower by @glenn_photographer (1,417 likes)
- Sunset over Lake Burley Griffin by @tomgcumming (1,404 likes)
- 4. National Arboretum Canberra in winter by @carolelvin (1,362 likes)
- Snow on Mount Ainslie by @threemillsbakery (1,342 likes)
- Telstra Tower at sunset by @frabjous.day (1,284 likes)
- Canberra Balloon Spectacular over National Arboretum Canberra by @travelnbeyond (1,274 likes)
- Lake Burley Griffin at sunset by @ab4nk (1,259 likes)
- Aerial shot of Canberra by @glenn_photographer (1,255 likes)
- Lake Burley Griffin by @topkidz_canberra (1,244 likes)