Thursday 21 November 2013

The Westin Melbourne - the Standout 5-Star Hotel

The Westin Melbourne
"Location, Location, Location!" That is what Real Estate Sales people say are the 3 most important aspects to look for when buying a property.

Recently I had the pleasure of staying at The Westin Melbourne, in the state capital city of Victoria, Australia. The phrase "Location, Location, Location!" sums up perfectly what is the outstanding feature of The Westin Melborrne. It is centrally located in the heart of Melbourne at 205 Collins Street, on the corner of Swanston Street. It is directly opposite the magnification heritage Melbourne Town Hall and right next door to the landmark Regent Theatre, City Square and the magnificent St Paul's Cathedral. It is a short walk to Federation Square, the Arts Centre, MCG and the Tennis Centre, Southbank, Bouke Street Mall and Melbourne's famous shopping arcades, laneways, restaurants, department stores and designer boutiques.

The Westin Lobby
To explore all that Melbourne has to offer, the extensive network of trains and trams can be utilized. Suburban trains depart regularly from the nearby Flinders Street Station, and using the functional tram network a person can travel north, south, east or west.

The Westin Melbourne, built in 2000, has had a $5.5 million refurbishment in 2010. The impressive entrance lobby on the ground floor is filled natural light from the floor to ceiling windows overlooking City Square. It has comfortable seating, fresh flowers, works of art and music to create a welcoming atmosphere. The spiral staircase and light fittings are impressive. The hotel offers a variety of food and beverage venues: a restaurant, bar, lobby lounge, martini bar and 24 hour in- room dining. The Allegro Restaurant features an open kitchen and wood fired oven, with a private terrace where people can dine alfresco amongst the tree tops of Collins Street.

The luxurious five-star hotel features 262 spacious guest rooms and suites, ranging from the Westin, City View, Deluxe Rooms, the Westin Spa Studios and Regent Suites.

My Westin Spa Studio
I was fortunate to be upgraded to one of the huge 50sqm Westin Spa Studios situated on a corner of the hotel overlooking St Paul's Cathedral through the floor to ceiling windows. I spent some time at the dark woodwork desk with leather chair where I tapped away on my laptop computer using the wifi internet available (though there was a multimedia connectivity panel). I viewed some of the many channels available on the 42-inch LCD TV, and made some cuppas from the refreshment centre. I sat in the comfy large armchair with ottoman to read some of the magazines provided. There was an iPod docking station available for use, but I did not make use of it as I am one of those rare people who do not have an iPod.

My Westin Spa Studio
I had a most wonderful nights sleep on the very comfortable king-size Westin Heavenly Bed that had ten layers of crisp and supple, pure-white 250–thread count sheets and down duvets, plush pillows and custom pillow-top mattresses. Apparently many of hotel guests fall in love with their bedding so much that they end up buying the Heavenly linen, doonas, pillows and even the beds for their own homes, using the Westin “Take a piece of Heaven Home” program.

My Westin Bathroom
The modern bathroom had  magnificent floor-to-ceiling bay windows that let ample natural light in during the day and provided wonderful views over Swanston Street, St Paul's Cathedral and City Square. I indulged myself in not one but several relaxing spa baths in the deep-set tub with spa jets. I also had several showers using the separate overhead rain shower and handheld massaging shower head. They were heavenly! The dual vanity was situated within the bay window and was stocked with fragrant White Tea by Westin bath amenities. A  fluffy bathrobe added to the luxurious bathroom experience.

Westin Buffet Breakfast
For breakfast I dined at the Allegro Restaurant located on level one of The Westin Melbourne. I enjoyed eating the hearty and healthy breakfast items I chose from the extensive buffet range of hot and cold items that were available. If I was more into fitness than I am, I could have taken advantage of the nutrient-rich and delicious SuperFoodsRx dishes served on the breakfast menu.

Westin Pool
For some relaxation I went to the Wellness Centre where I swam some lengths in the lap pool, lazed in the spa, warmed up in the Sauna, steam up on the Steam Room and (briefly) visited the 24 hour Westin WORKOUT gymnasium. If I was more energetic I could have taken a run on a custom-designed scenic route close to the hotel. They have an innovative Run WESTIN program where they offer three and five mile routes through the city, along the beach or into rural landscapes. I could have joined a group run with their Run Concierge, or grabbed a running map and taken off by myself. Either way, I would have been welcomed back with a fresh towel and cold bottled water. I could have had the convenience of working out in the privacy of my own Westin WORKOUT room, or an In-Room Spa treatment in the complete privacy of my guest room. I couldn't really use the excuse that I hadn't packed my own work-out gear, as The Westin Melbourne now offers New Balance shoes and clothing to hire for only $5.00. Shoes come with socks that are brand new and yours to keep.

View from room of St Paul's,
Flinders St Station, Eureka Tower

The Westin Melbourne caters for the business community and for private functions, with seven function rooms and a business centre with boardroom available for use for groups of between 8 and 160 people. Its prominent location in the Central Business District of Melbourne makes it ideally accessible for these events.

For anyone looking for a chic modern five star hotel in the heart of Melbourne, The Westin Melbourne is the ideal play to stay.

It is not only the design of the hotel that is outstanding, it is the friendly, attentive service of the staff that makes The Westin Melbourne the ideal 5-star hotel to stay in.for any visiting interstate or overseas business executive or tourist.

Contact Details

The Westin Melbourne
Address: 205 Collins Street, Melbourne, Victoria 3000 Australia
Phone: (61)(3) 9635 2222
Fax: (61)(3) 9635 2122

No comments:

Post a Comment